Does Futureflip lodge and obtain the development approvals needed to build a Dual Occupancy?

Yes – we organise consultants and negotiate with council to make sure the future build is compliant. All we need from you is to sign the DA form.


I’ve got some very specific ideas about what I want – are you flexible?

We pride ourselves on our flexibility and tailor our designs to fit our clients’ budget and family requirements, ensuring the project is affordable to build, maintain and run. We’re more than happy to collaborate with you on your design in order to help you create your dream home.


Why choose plans from Futureflip over a project home?

As we’re a custom designer and buidler, we can help you to make the most of a unique site. Each site is analysed and the best aspects of your site are emphasised by our designs. We also provide flexibility and choice when it comes to your home – we want to create a home that you want to live in! We also have a good understanding of costs associated with different designs and features, so we can help steer you to a design that not only caters to your needs but also can be built according to your budget.


How long does Council approval take?

It’s really difficult to provide any sort of indication as to how long this might take. It depends entirely on the site and the planner. Lots of local Councils now provide a DA tracker that will allow you to view the DA as it moves through the stages of examination.


What’s the difference between a DA and a CDC?

A Development Application (otherwise known as a DA) is the application made to your local Council seeking consent to carry out a development.

A Complying Development Certificate (otherwise known as a CDC) is an alternative to this, and deals with a more straightforward set of requirements. CDCs are often approved in less time than a DA, however CDCs can only be sought with particular types of development.

Each Council has their own set of requirements for each of these types of approval. It’s best to seek Council advice and the advice of a building certifier when choosing which path to take.


What are the minimum requirements for my property to build a duplex?

The best place to get this sort of information efficiently and at no cost is to call your local Council and ask to speak to someone in the Development department.


What’s the difference between Strata Title and Torrens Title?

Torrens Title (also known as freehold) means that the purchaser owns both the house and the land on which it is built – this is the most common form of ownership.

Strata title means that the common, shared areas of the block are maintained by all owners collectively through an Owners Corporation.


Should we include pools in our home/duplex?

It’s best to seek advice from a real estate agent as to whether buyers in your area are seeking them out, and whether it’s a worthy investment. Our advice to you is to put them on the plans in the design stage and get them approved – you can always come back and have them added in later. Keep in mind if you’re building a duplex, it can be a lot more cost-effective to build both pools at the same time due to economies of scale.


When do I get to choose finishes like tiles, flooring, taps and the fun stuff?

We typically include some high level finishes in our DA plans (things like exterior cladding, some flooring etc). However most of the finishes are chosen and incorporated during the Construction Certificate stage.

For more information, please get in touch.